Walk for Hunger
The United Parish has a 30+ year tradition of joining Project Bread's Walk for Hunger, a fundraising and community planning organization for more than 400 hunger programs across Massachusetts.
This organization assists the 9.6% of Massachusetts families that deal with some level of food insecurity. Project Bread funds Chefs in Schools to improve the nutrition of school lunches, a user-friendly website to help people sign up for Food Stamps, a food source hotline (800-645-8333), and food programs such as the Brookline Food Pantry.
"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!" (Romans 10:15)
Latest Walk for Hunger News
Last Sunday was a perfectly beautiful day for the 55th Walk for Hunger! Eighteen of us joined the lively scene at Boston Common and many walked back to church together. Many more in the congregation have donated. The United Parish Team has gathered $4,899 (see http://support.projectbread.org/goto/unitedparish). Our Mission Giving Team added $5,000, Thrifty Threads contributed $500, and we received additional donations from church members for a total of $10,549 given to help hunger programs in Massachusetts. Thanks to everyone involved -- our neighbors in need are grateful! Contact Beverly Bowman at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the Walk for Hunger happening next Sunday, May 7th. It is fun to join the Walk crowd and celebrate caring for our neighbors! Details are below.
Consider getting out your United Parish t-shirt with the colorful chairs to wear.
So far the United Parish Walk for Hunger Team has raised $1,628 of our $4,000 goal. Contributions can be made at http://support.projectbread.org/goto/unitedparish or brought with you to the Walk (or also at Coffee Hour Walk Day). Checks ideally should be made out to "Project Bread," but checks made out to Walk for Hunger work as well.
Walk Day, May 7th
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress for the morning's range of weather. Consider bringing a water bottle. Bring your phone/camera; this event makes for great pictures!
- We will gather at the church parking lot 8-8:15 am. I will explain the choice of routes we can take and will have maps to hand out.
- I will collect any cash or check contributions you have for the Walk.
- After a picture and dedication prayer, we will walk to Coolidge Corner and take the Green Line MBTA to the Boylston Street stop. The fare is $2.40 cash or Charlie Card for ages 12+; sometimes in the past the T has provided the ride to the Walk for free, but we can't count on it.
- If you cannot meet us at church, you may join us outside the Boylston Inbound exit at the Boston Common.
- We will join the Walk rally on the Charles Street side of the Common, near where cars enter the underground garage. The rally is scheduled to last 15 minutes.
- After the rally, the official Walk route is 3X around the circumference of the Common (3 miles). Our group will decide who wants to:
- follow the official route (3 miles), taking the MBTA back to Coolidge Corner in time for church;
- walk back to church (3.5 miles) together; or,
- circle the Common once and walk back to church (total of 4.5 miles). There is time to do this and reach church by the time of the worship service.
- Walkers will be recognized in the church service and the Mission Giving contribution will be announced.
- The Project Bread website will remain active for a few weeks, so your friends and relatives can still help after hearing you talk about the Walk.
- Send pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to email me with any questions. We look forward to seeing you at the Walk!
Walk for Hunger on Sunday, May 7
Join the United Parish Walk for Hunger Team in raising funds for hunger programs in Massachusetts!
- Donate -- Add to the $1,385 contributed so far by visiting Beverly Bowman at Coffee Hour this week or next, or by going to support.projectbread.org/goto/unitedparish. Our Mission Giving Team is watching our response and will support our efforts.
- Walk with the United Parish Team: We will meet at the church parking lot at 8 am next Sunday, May 7, take the Green Line together to Boston Common, and attend a short rally. (It’s a great opportunity to wear your United Parish t-shirt!) You can then choose to walk at the Common, or to follow our traditional walk with United Parish Team members back to church. Either choice will allow you to return in time for our church service. Contact Beverly B. at email@example.com.