Church School Registration 2022-2023
Dear Church School Families,
In this electronic packet, you will find the following materials, which we hope will help you and your child(ren) ease into this brave new church year:
- A link to our Registration and Field Trip Permission Form for each child or youth in your household. It is imperative for reasons of safety as well as communication that you individually register each child. We are using Realm for church school registration this year, so if you are a returning family and haven’t yet had the chance to activate your family’s Realm profile(s), now is the time to do so! New families and first-timers will also be able to register their children through this link, and will be invited to create a Realm profile after registration.
- An Optional Photography Opt-Out form for anyone wishing to make sure pictures of anyone in their family do not get used in United Parish publications or publicity materials.
- A Church School Calendar that you might want to print and hang on your refrigerator or keep in a handy spot.
- An Acolyte flier for all children entering 5th grade and higher.
What a year we have had together! I hope your summers have found moments of play, rest, wonder, and curiosity, and that your families are feeling ready for the ‘back-to-school’ season (and if you’re not, you’re probably not alone!).
In response to overwhelmingly positive feedback, we will again start off the year hosting church school outdoors when the weather is fair. On days when we move indoors, masks will be required when we are in the “red” zone, strongly encouraged when we are in the “yellow” zone, and optional when we are in the “green” zone (using this CDC site as our guide). Here's a handout for when to keep your child home from church.
- Our Pre-K/Kindergarten lessons are based off of the “Beginners Bible” material that has been a long-time favorite of our students and teachers
- Our Elementary, Middle, and High School curricula will begin with the next installment in the Current series, called Seeking God Together. This curriculum will also inform our worship services in the fall, so that children and parents will be hearing the same lessons as one another, hopefully spurring some engaging car-ride-home conversations!
- Confirmation (10th grade) will run September - February, and is based off of the Dancing Pastor Ministries curriculum, adapted for our setting.
The Children & Youth Deepening Team is also delighted to announce the return of our Family Worship services, starting on September 11th, at 9:45am, on the front lawn. Church school classes begin September 18th, and subsequent Family Worship services, held in lieu of church school, will happen on the first Sundays of October, November, February, and March.
We will once again be offering opportunities for children and youth to make Music together! Susan DeSelms will be leading our children’s choir for grades 1-6 (starting Sunday, September 18 at 9:00am) which will include singing, drumming, and regular appearances in our community worship. Youth in grades 7-12 are welcome to join the UP Handbell Ringers (Monday evenings starting October 17 at 7pm), the Chancel Choir (Thursday evenings starting September 8 at 7pm), or participate in a small folk ensemble that will bring music to monthly family worship services and regular 11am worship. For more information about any of these opportunities, please reach out to Susan via email at email@example.com.
Our Rite 13 slogan is “nothing goes without saying”. So let me be clear when I say this: families are always welcome here, no matter how many times your child has made it to church school (or not), no matter what your own comfort or familiarity with religion or the Bible is, no matter who you are or where you are on your faith journey. Know that United Parish as a whole will always be here to serve as that quirky, loving, spirit-filled co-parent, and it is an honor to be part of the village that helps raise your children.
I am always praying with you. I am available Sundays-Thursdays to pray, listen, and dream with you (or your kids) as you navigate this year- the best ways to reach me are through the chat feature on Realm, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by leaving a voicemail at 617-277-6860 x2.
I look forward to traveling this road with you and your children, as we deepen in our faith and our community together.