Thrifty Threads is located within United Parish and is fully operated by a team of dedicated volunteers. Thrifty Threads has been serving Brookline and surrounding communities in Greater Boston since 1993. We offer good quality clothing and housewares at very low prices -- proceeds support United Parish’s outreach and social justice programs. We pass on more than half of the donations we receive to non-profit organizations working directly with people in need. Our work also supports the environment by keeping gently used items out of landfill and instead helping them find new homes.
The non-profits we partner with provide backpacks, sweatshirts, jackets/coats, and durable shoes to people experiencing homelessness. We send business attire to groups that help people transition into the work force and provide children’s clothing and toys to a variety of family nurturing centers. Although we prefer not to accept book donations, those that do come our way are passed on to the Prison Book Project.
In addition to clothing and housewares, we sell jewelry, shoes, and purses, most of which are prices for less than $10. We also have a vintage boutique section, which offers one-of-a-kind treasures at slightly higher prices.
Fridays and Saturdays 12-3pm. Closed major holiday weekends.
Entrance is through the side ramp door on the Marion Street side of United Parish. Masks are required indoors.
Through the generosity of donors like you, we’re able to channel essential clothing and household items to people in need, generate revenue to support United Parish’s outreach and social justice programs, and help to protect the environment by keeping gently used items out of landfills and instead help them find new homes.
Please know we have limited indoor storage capacity and therefore can accept only:
- Gently used or new clothing
- Footwear in good condition
- New socks and undergarments in original packaging
- Small quantities of kitchenware, cookware, and decorative housewares. Must be clean and in working order.
We are unable to accept:
- Men's suits and blazers. Year Up or Suits and Smiles might be able to accept these items
- Tattered, torn, and stained clothing. These can be donated to textile recycling programs such as Helpsy and Planet Aid
- Used socks or underwear (these also can go to Helpsy or Planet Aid)
- Baby gear or toys/games. Try donating these to Cradles to Crayons
- Electronics, screens. Your local recycling center will likely accept these.
- Disposable plasticware (forks, spoons, knives)
- Tupperware or other plastic containers
- Books. Consider donating your books to More than Words or the Prison Book Program
Office staff can assist and accept donations Tuesdays - Fridays 11am-5pm at the 15 Marion St. entrance. Please do not leave items outside. Office hours are subject to change; call ahead at 617-277-6860.
Thank you for being such an important part of our community. Feel free to email with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Volunteering?
We sometimes need additional help for a few hours a week to sort donations and/or staff the store. Come join a wonderful group of volunteers, have fun, and maybe find a treasure or two.
Upcoming Thrifty Threads Events
Latest Thrifty Threads News
As the school year starts, many children are in need of school supplies and new socks. Thrifty Threads will be collecting items through September 25 which we will donate to organizations that work with children. There will be boxes at the back of the Sanctuary to collect the following items: new socks, paper, pencils, erasers, pens, notebooks, backpacks. Thank you for supporting children! Contact email@example.com.
Stop by to shop indoors on Fridays and Saturdays from 12-3pm. Entrance is through the Chapel Ramp door on Marion Street. Masks are still required indoors while shopping.
Please consider volunteering or donating gently-used clothing and small housewares. Donations can be dropped off during store hours, or with the Church Office staff (Tuesday-Friday 11am-5pm). During the week, please come to the side entance at 15 Marion Street and ring the doorbell. Please do not leave items outside.
While we are currently accepting donations, please know we have limited indoor storage capacity.
We are currently accepting the following donations only:
- gently-used or new clothing, footwear, and accessories in good condition
- new socks and undergarments in original packaging
- small quantities of kitchenware, cookware, and decorative housewares
- paper books only, limited to bibles, dictionaries, and self-help books for the Prison Book Program
We are unable to accept:
- men's suits and blazers
- tattered, torn, and stained clothing
- used socks or underwear
- baby gear or toys/games
- electronics, screens
- disposable plasticware (forks, spoons, knives)
- plastic tupperware containers
- large furniture
- broken items
We do not have the space or processing capacity for discarded items from a major household clean-up or move.
There are Kenyan handbags located in Thrifty Threads that are for sale ($20, $30 and $40). All proceeds will go to Dhansa Maweni School to support the tireless work of Celestine and her staff who teach 70+ pre-K students from the poorest parts of Mtwapa, Kenya. Photos of some of the children as well as more details about the school can be found next to the handbags. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.