Thrifty Threads is located within United Parish and is fully operated by a team of dedicated volunteers. Thrifty Threads has been serving Brookline and surrounding communities in Greater Boston since 1993. We offer good quality clothing and housewares at very low prices — proceeds support United Parish’s outreach and social justice programs. We pass on more than half of the donations we receive to non-profit organizations working directly with people in need. Our work also supports the environment by keeping gently used items out of landfill and instead helping them find new homes.
The non-profits we partner with provide backpacks, sweatshirts, jackets/coats, and durable shoes to people experiencing homelessness. We send business attire to groups that help people transition into the work force and provide children’s clothing and toys to a variety of family nurturing centers. Although we prefer not to accept book donations, those that do come our way are passed on to the Prison Book Project.
In addition to clothing and housewares, we sell jewelry, shoes, and purses, most of which are prices for less than $10. We also have a vintage boutique section, which offers one-of-a-kind treasures at slightly higher prices.
It is Thrifty Threads’ spiritual call to improve the world one article of clothing at a time! As part of the outreach of United
Parish of Brookline, our mission is to build and strengthen community while being stewards to the natural world. A diverse, inclusive set of volunteers helps create a warm and welcoming environment where patrons are comfortable while they shop for reasonably priced goods that are recycled away from landfills. Beyond our store borders, we try to nourish our community by providing both financial support and goods to our neighbors and other organizations seeking to help those who most need it within our community.
Fridays and Saturdays 12-3pm. Closed major holiday weekends.
Entrance is through the side ramp door on the Marion Street side of United Parish.
Through the generosity of donors like you, we’re able to channel essential clothing and household items to people in need, generate revenue to support United Parish’s outreach and social justice programs, and help to protect the environment by keeping gently used items out of landfills and instead help them find new homes.
Please know we have limited indoor storage capacity and therefore can accept only:
- Gently used or new clothing
- Footwear in good condition
- New socks and undergarments in original packaging
- Small quantities of kitchenware, cookware, and decorative housewares. Must be clean and in working order.
We are unable to accept:
- Men’s suits and blazers. Year Up or Suits and Smiles might be able to accept these items
- Tattered, torn, and stained clothing. These can be donated to textile recycling programs such as Helpsy and Planet Aid
- Used socks or underwear (these also can go to Helpsy or Planet Aid)
- Baby gear or toys/games. Try donating these to Cradles to Crayons
- Electronics, screens. Your local recycling center will likely accept these.
- Disposable plasticware (forks, spoons, knives)
- Tupperware or other plastic containers
- Books. Consider donating your books to More than Words or the Prison Book Program
- Furniture (You could try Furnishing Hope, Mission of Deeds, Household Goods, Salvation Army, Boomerangs, Habitat for Humanity Restore)
Office staff can assist and accept donations Tuesdays – Fridays 11am-5pm at the 15 Marion St. entrance. Please do not leave items outside. Office hours are subject to change; call ahead at 617-277-6860.
Thank you for being such an important part of our community. Feel free to email with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Volunteering?
We sometimes need additional help for a few hours a week to sort donations and/or staff the store. Come join a wonderful group of volunteers, have fun, and maybe find a treasure or two.