Latest Spiritual Practices News
We are looking for members and friends of United Parish to put together a short devotional that will be compiled for the 2017 Advent season. Come to the advent writing workshop on Sunday, October 15 from 12:30-1:30pm in the Deepening Room to get a jump start on your devotional. If you can't make it to the workshop you may still submit a devotional. Devotional writings need to be submitted to [email protected] by November 5.
Ingredients for a great devotional:
1. Consider an advent theme:
2. Choose a short passage of scripture. Suggestions from the Advent lectionary include:
Week 1: Isaiah 64:1-9 and Mark13:24-37
Week 2: Isaiah 40:1-11, Mark 1:1-8
Week 3: Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11; John 1:6-8, 19-28
Week 4: Luke 1:26-38
3. Write a short reflection, tell a story about your life that relates to the scripture. Aim for 250-500 words (2-4 paragraphs).
4. Write a short prayer (1-2 sentences).
5. Include your name or indicate if you would like your submission to be kept anonymous.
In the busy-ness of many of our lives, prayer often becomes one more thing to do. Or one more thing not to do. What would it mean to give prayer — steady, centering, grounding, prayer — a more central place in our lives? Would you like to deepen your practice of prayer? Make it more regular, more meaningful, more integrated in your overall life?
Prayer is a spiritual lifeline. Just as walking is the regular physical exercise and forward movement for the body, prayer can be a regular spiritual exercise for the soul. The more we do it, the more it sustains us and helps us in the world around us. Centering prayer is a form of meditation in the Christian tradition using the breath and a sacred word to help center ourselves in God's Presence. It is a spiritual practice that we learn about and practice together.
The Adult Deepening in Faith and Spirituality Ministry Team invites you to join with others in centering prayer during Lent.
- We will meet @ 8pm in the Lindsay Room for 30 minutes on Ash Wednesday (March 1) after the worship service.
- We will meet @ 12:30pm for 30 minutes in the Lindsay Room on Sundays following the morning worship. (March 5, 12, 19, 26 & April 2, 9)
- We will join the Mid-Week Lenten Worship on Thursday evenings (6:30pm) and continue in a time of prayer after each service. (March 9, 16, 23, 30 & April 6)